Off-page SEO refers to techniques you can employ beyond the boundaries of your own website. Search engines will consider how a website is perceived by other websites and users – A website that is deemed useful and of high quality is more likely to have links from other websites. But it’s not just about link building – it can include things like mentions on social media and bookmarking.
- Building links (back links) to your website should be about quality rather than quantity.
- Links have different weights – a link from a blog would not offer the same weight as a link from The Guardian.
- Focus on natural link building – links that have more value from the reader’s point of view rather than putting the search engine first.
- Going back to creating relevant and compelling content – the best way to attract natural links is to publish link worthy content – so that other websites and users want to link to it.
- Social media platforms are a good source of inbound links but try and ensure that these links don’t just come from your accounts but are being shared by others.
- Encourage reviews of the brand and products or services from as many different sources as possible.
- Social bookmarking is still a good way to get traffic to your website if you can find websites such as Reddit to promote your content.
- Guest blogging/posting can still be a valid way to get links back to your website – but tread lightly here – don’t overdo it and don’t do it just for the links.
- Consider influencer marketing.
- Review your link profile regularly and make sure you are receiving traffic from high quality links/websites – negative SEO can have a disastrous impact on your website ranking.
Ultimately, Google will probably always have more super smart people working for it than you do, so there’s limited value in trying to second-guess the algorithm or ‘game the system’. The best approach when starting with SEO is simply to do what Google has stated many times its algorithm is specifically looking for: good, relevant content – and lots of it!
If you need any assistance with SEO or any aspect of web development and content, feel free to get in touch with us.
Find out more about our Web & Digital services